In part one of this four-part series, we discussed how thought leadership content can support your marketing and sales efforts to improve your sales and performance. As a marketer, being an expert in your field is crucial. And, when done right, thought leadership content educates your audience, establishes you as a credible and reliable resource, addresses your prospect’s pain points, and so much more.
Now that you know the case for thought leadership content and the many benefits it has to offer, how can you develop content that’s above average? Where do you even begin? Here are three tips to answer your impending questions.
Tips for Creating Thought Leadership Content
1. Define Your Target Persona
From various forms of content to social media, there’s a never-ending list of strategies and tactics you can invest in and deploy when it comes to creating thought leadership content. However, it’s vital to never forget the primary objective of marketing and sales: know your market. Here are some resources to help with defining your target persona:
- How We Determine Your Target Persona
- Can You Answer These 9 Questions About Your B2B Prospects?
- Inbound Marketing Commandment #1: Know Your Target Persona
- Getting Back to Basics – Know Your Market
2. Craft Your Messaging
This is where it’s important to know your target persona. You have to be able to share your USP (unique selling proposition or point) in your sleep—why are you different from your competitors?
- You want to know this to create content around this topic, BUT REMEMBER —we aren't trying to SELL, SELL, SELL right now! You’re trying to create trust and have communication and conversation around topics and paint points
- Identify their pain points, needs, desires, and business aspirations and goals
- Research industry happenings and stay on top of latest industry trends and topics
3. Hang Out —Spend Time Where Your Prospects Spend Time
Observe how other users interact, engage, and communicate on platforms and how they are creating/sharing content.
- Listen to how your prospects and other industry leaders are communicating and engaging
- Watching trending posts and topics to formulate ideas for your content
This can help you create ideas as well as see what's important in the eyes of your prospect!
Click below to watch the other videos in this series, where we continue digging into this topic to speak to different types of thought leadership content and where to utilize your thought leadership content to maximize your results.